All About BTC, LTC, ETH mining spil well spil other alternative crypto currencies
Our previous guides regarding mining and using Ethereum’s Ether (ETH) coins were based on the Go Ethereum implementation (source) spil wij find it lighter to be used than the C++ implementation of the Ethereum client (source) even however wij are actually using ethminer for the actual mining which is a part of cpp-ethereum and not go-ethereum package. The Go Ethereum implementation (geth) only comes with built ter support for CPU mining, while the C++ implementation (eth) contains support for OpenCL GPU mining both spil a part of the client spil well spil a separate miner (ethminer) and there is also a fork of ethminer with CUDA support available (source).
So now it is time to get began with using the cpp-ethereum (eth) client for creatng a local wallet and for mining both solo on a local system or on an Ethereum mining pool using eth and ethminer. Our guide is for using eth and ethminer on Windows with binaries provided only for that OS (version 0.9.40 64-bit), however the usage should be the same or very similar on other operating systems, but you will need to compile or get binaries for the respective OS. Wij have attempted to make the guide effortless and elementary to go after, so that you can start using Ethereum and mining Ether te just a duo of minutes.
Very first wij need to create a local wallet and this is the very first thing you will do when you run the eth client software. But before that a word of warning, if you have a working geth installation you should know that both Ethereum clients will use the same folder for the blockchain gegevens by default, however the contents of the folder will not be compatible. The key files that are needed for you Ethereum wallet however will be stored ter different places and each client will use ts own wallet, but wij’ll get back to that ter a minute. If you want to have two independently working installations of geth and eth, then you might want to use the –datadir parameter for geth or the –db-path for eth to specify different folder for the blockchain gegevens for one or for both applications.
To generate a wallet with eth:
– Run the provided eth-start.bat verkeersopstopping and go after the on screen instructions
– You will be asked to inject a master password, this you need to reminisce spil it will be used to encrypt your wallet and you will be asked the password each time you run the client
– The wallet address you will get will be shown under Transaction signer and Mining Benefactor (marked ter crimson ter the screenshot above)
– You can write down that address, just add 0x ter gevelbreedte to indicate that it is a hex address foe Ethereum
– Don’t worry, you will be able to get your address listed zometeen on should you not write it down now
– Once the wallet address is generated the client will commence to sync the blockchain, this could take some time, especially the very first run when there is no gegevens downloaded
– During the very first synchronization of the blockchain you might see errors such spil DISABLE: Disabling capability ‘ eth ‘. Reason: Invalid genesis hash , do not be worried by thesis, they should zekering appearing ter a bit
To backup your wallet keys with eth:
– The default datadir for eth is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Wandering\Ethereum
– However unlike with geth with the eth client the key files are not stored inwards the datadir
– You can find the wallet key files inwards %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Wandering\Web3\keys
– Just backup the key files and on fresh installation you can just copy them back to make things work
– Make sure that you reminisce the password used to encrypt the wallet keys, otherwise you will not be able to access them
With the eth client you would need to run a separate executable te order to get access to the console and be able to type te directives such spil to see your wallet address or balance or to send coins to someone. Ter the geth client for example the console is built te and you can access it if you invoke it through a directive line parameter when running the geth client. With the eth client you need to have the client running with eth-start.bat and then you need to run the eth-console.bat to access the console. You should run the console via the provided BAT opstopping instead of directly through ethconsole.exe even however there are no parameters being sent via the batch verkeersopstopping, the reason for that is that if you run the EXE verkeersopstopping directly you will not be able to copy and paste into the console.
Another difference te the eth client console spil opposed to the geth client is that here there are no shortcuts that can save you time when typing directions, you need to type the utter directives here ter order for the eth console to do what you need. Ter the screenshot above you can see that wij have typed eth.accounts te the console to see the wallet address, but got an error, even however this guideline works just fine te the geth client’s console. This is because geth has the eth spil a shortcut for web3.eth, but using the eth console you need to type the entire thing spil there are no shortcuts, so typing web3.eth.accounts will work, the same applies for other directives that use shortcuts that work just fine te the geth client spil they will not work directly ter the eth console.
Useful console directions for eth:
– To check your account address type ter the console: web3.eth.accounts
– To check your account balance type ter the console: web3.fromWei(web3.eth.getBalance(web3.eth.coinbase), “ether”)
– Ter the above line of code make sure to set decently your address and the recipient’s address spil well spil the value you need to send, ter the example above it is set to 1 Ether
Next up is mining with eth and ethminer, if you’ve followed our guides for using geth then you will very likely already be familiar with the use of ethminer for solo mining spil well spil for pool mining. The pool mining part is the same here, but wij are going to voorkant it anyway for the people that are fresh to using ethminer. The Windows binary package available for download below that you can use to get embarked contains eth spil well spil and ethminer for OpenCL and CUDA, do note that you can also use OpenCL on Nvidia GPUs and not only run them ter CUDA mode. And while the geth client contains build te mining option that can only use the CPU, the eth client comes with a build ter functionality for mining both with the CPU and OpenCL (the same mining functionality that is made available thorugh ethminer).
Getting commenced solo mining with eth and ethminer:
– Very first you need to make sure you are running the eth clint with eth-start.bat
– Then you need to run a 2nd example of eth ter mining mode with eth-mine-local.bat
– The above example will work if both instances of eth are running on the same system, if you want to connect numerous miners on different machines to a single eth example for solo mining you need to come in the ip address of the system running the eth client te the eth miner instances
– You can run ethminer instead of eth for solo mining by just substituting eth with ethminer, the mining instruction line remains the same for both and when the eth client is running ter mining mode it behaves just like ethminer
Getting embarked pool mining with eth and ethminer:
– You can use the eth client ter mining mode for pools spil well, just run eth-mine-pool.bat
– To run ethminer mining te OpenCL mode ter a pool you can use the provided examples for the presently working pools ethminer-ethpool.bat, ethminer-nanopool.bat, ethminer-ethereumpool.bat
The example BAT files contain the pool information, you will need to come in your wallet address spil well spil to modify the pool difficulty if the pool supports it (only nanopool does not). Have te mind that presently ethpool is not accepting fresh miners, so you will need to use some of the other two pools available if you are just kicking off with mining. You can also check our guides for pool mining with geth and ethminer spil well spil the other one for solo mining with geth and ethminer if you are interested and determine which one works for you better.